Mission & Objectives
Since 1956, IAH has provided an international forum on the management of groundwater for the benefit of mankind and the environment.
Mission & Objectives
The South Africa National Chapter (IAH-SA) of IAH is organized and operated exclusively for scientific and educational purposes as a non-profit organisation. As a Chapter of IAH, the South African National Chapter also operates within the overall IAH framework and global organizational bylaws.
The main objectives of the IAH-SA include:
- Represent South African members of IAH in the activities of the parent organization and in other international hydrogeological activities.
- Promote international activities which further the science and technology of hydrogeology and water resources.
- Promote research, education, communication, and training in groundwater science.
- Stimulate the interest of hydrogeologists in South Africa in international hydrogeological activities and better acquaint hydrogeologists abroad with the concepts and techniques developed and applied in South Africa
- Coordinate interest and activities among hydrogeologists in South Africa with IAH programs and activities.
- Maintain liaisons with other groups concerned with international water-related activities in general and hydrogeology in particular.
- Provide a link between the international groundwater community and hydrogeologists in South Africa.
- What will IAH be in 2020 and beyond? See the Forward Look planning document.
IAH Commissions, Networks & Working Groups
IAH has historically carried out much of its scientific and technical work through its Commissions, Networks and Working Groups. Following a recent review process, IAH wishes to increase its contributions to the science of groundwater, enhance benefits to members, and perform important outreach, education and training activities. Part of the review was an assessment of the structure, operation, and effectiveness of the IAH Commissions, which in 2011 has led to renewal of some of the existing Commissions and proposals for new ones.
IAH’s new Commissions and Networks are listed at this page, together with contact details. Active involvement from the hydrogeological community is strongly encouraged.